The Internet contains so much information that finding what you are looking for can be a challenge. We`ve provided some tips to help you.
- Artcyclopedia - An index of online museums and image archives. The Fine art search engine searches a comprehensive index of every artist represented at hundreds of museum sites, image archives, and other online resources.
- Canadian Theatre Encyclopedia - Athabasca University’s database of information about Canadian actors, playwrights, directors, producers, and theatre companies.
- McMichael Canadian Art Collection - The only major gallery with the mandate to collect Canadian art exclusively. Largest permanent displays of works by Tom Thomson and the Group of Seven.
- Young Entrepreneurs, Make your pitch - Make your Pitch is an entrepreneurship contest that is exclusively for high school students! Students will pitch their business idea in a 2 minute video, submit it to makeyourpitch.ca, and have friends, family, and peers vote! The top videos will be awarded a trip to Toronto to attend and pitch their ideas live at OCE’s Discovery conference and showcase, April 27-28, 2015, in front of a panel of judges from the entrepreneur community.
- Atlas of Canada - Collection of Canadian maps and related information.
- Altapedia - Phyical and political maps, plus facts and statistics on countries of the world.
- World Fact Book - The CIA World Fact Book contains extensive facts and statistics on geography, people, economy, transportation etc. of countries.
- Canadian Biodiversity - Detailed information on the climate, geography, vegetation and animals that live in each of Canada's ecozones.
- Country Studies - Contains in-depth information on the nations of the world from the Library of Congress.
- Teen Health - The teen section of Kids Health, provides accurate, up-to-date, and jargon-free health information.
- Simcoe Muskoka DIstrict Health - Information for teens on sexual health, healthy eating, tobacco, drugs and alcohol.
- NIDA for Teens - The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) created this Web site to help teens learn about the science behind drug abuse.
- Canada in the Making - A comprehensive site on Canadian history highlighting Canada’s constitutional history, early settlement, New France and immigration.
- Canadian Encyclopedia - This site contains the complete text of the Canadian Encyclopedia and is an in-depth resource for researching Canadian and world events.
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography - Biographical and historical information about Canadians who died between 1000 and 1930. In English and French.
- Ask Dr. Math - This site, maintained by Drexel University, has an archive of help for all levels of math, plus you can also e-mail your questions to Dr. Math.
- Math Online - Selected math links that support the math strands of the Ontario Curriculum developed by The Peel District School Board.
- Math Homework Help - Are you in grades 7 to 10? Need help with math homework? Then why not get live, online math tutoring from an Ontario teacher? It's free and easy to sign up. Homework Help is run by TVO's Independent Learning Centre with support from the Ontario government.
Note: Homework Help is offered in English and is only available to students at publicly funded schools.
- All Music - An extensive database of music with information on artists and albums covering all music genres.
- Encyclopedia of Canadian Pop Music - Canadian pop music artists and/or band biographies from 1949 to the present.
Research and Writing
- Son of Citation Machine - Helps students to properly cite their information sources.
- Science and Technology for Canadians - Government of Canada’s science portal provides Canadian sources of science and technology information.
- Science Net - Search for science websites on the Internet, by subject or alphabetical list. Maintained by staff of the Toronto Public Library.